Friday, January 1, 2010

Of Thanksgiving and Gratitude...

So, the New Year is finally here.

My response to that would be one of relief, thanksgiving, and hope.
2009 has truly been another roller-coaster year.
I can't imagine it being any different to the past few years, except that it was a whole lot bumpier and at the same time exciting.

Without a reason for the season, Christmas would probably have been ruined.
Without my reason to live, well...

Enough said.

Suffice to say, I'm really glad 2009 has come to an end.
Looking back, there are so many things I wished I had done/not done and not gotten myself into such fixes.
Then again, I also can see so many instances where I can thank God for His grace and His goodness throughout the year.

I'll always remember the different moments in the year either because of its mountaintop highs, or just plain deep depressing moments.
All I know is, God has been really good regardless of all that has happened.
And I believe that He is still in control, and in 2010...greater things shall be accomplished all to the glory of His name.

Some of the highlights in 2009 include:

  • Representing Malaysia to the English Business Talk in Singapore.
  • Graduated with a Degree in my hands.
  • Went through a very painful growing up process throughout the year.
  • Stepped into the adult world and realized the responsibilities and requirements that came with it.
  • Had a taste of what the working world would feel like.

And those are just among some of the highlights of the year.
Overall, it didn't end too well...but God has definitely been faithful.
I thank God everyday for His continued faithfulness and His ever present help in life.
Life may not be smooth, and there are times where I've even lost my focus...but somehow everything always points back to Him.

If I listed down the lessons I've learned throughout the year, this post might probably never end.
Nevertheless, it's made me a smarter, and hopefully a better person.

And as I look forward to 2010 I realize what matters is not how much money you make, the magnitude of what you've done, nor is it how much you THINK you've accomplished...

But what matters are always the people who are around you, the relationships and friendships that you've come to know and love in life.
The year itself presented many losses in different forms...
So I say, even as life in itself is unpredictable and short, too many a times I realize that I take it forgranted.

Instead of displaying arrogance, I'll start this year by committing every step of the way to God and all the plans laid out...that God willing they shall be done.
I learn to appreciate the people around me, and not take them forgranted.
Let this new year be a fresh start for me, and for you readers out there...

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time,
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools,
The way to dusty death. Out, out brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more; it is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

William Shakespeare

If life is indeed short, then carpe diem it shall be!
Seize the moment, live life to the max.
And in my case...every moment to be lived to my full potential for God.
I've lost all will to live and the only reason left to live is God.
And if He gave His all for me when He sent His Son, the only rightful thing would be to give all of me to serve Him.

No resolutions for me, but instead...I pray that God will reveal more of Himself and the plans ahead.
Resolutions are almost never kept, for me personally anyway.
So it was a new year's prayer this time, a prayer to be better...to never lose focus on Him.

Live for God, live for the moment...
Know what is important, appreciate those around you.
Reach out for your dreams and your destination, but don't forget to enjoy the journey.
Take what you can in life, and seize every moment and opportunity you have.

...But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead ~ Philippians 3:13(b).

I pray that the year 2010 will be fulfilling for you, as I am very sure it will be for me.
And to end this year, here's a video clip I thought really captured what mattered to me.
Enjoy!

6 comments:

Shermaine said...

the video is touching. :'(

Joshua said...

Looking back, there are so many things I wished I had done/not done and not gotten myself into such fixes.
You know...I've read a good devotional about that, recently (me? say such a thing? :P )
http://www.myutmost.org/12/1231.html

Heh, and another quote I like:
"Never be afraid when God brings back the past. Let memory have its way. It is a minister of God with its rebuke and chastisement and sorrow. God will turn the "might have been" into a wonderful culture for the future. (http://www.myutmost.org/04/0403.html)"

Instead of displaying arrogance, I'll start this year by committing every step of the way to God and all the plans laid out...that God willing they shall be done.
:) Proverbs 3

Matt said...

@Sher: Mmm, I know. A good reminder to cherish those around you ei? : )

@Josh: Send me the devotional when you're online. Haha!

Mmm, I like that quote. Too often visited by memories of the past. Thank you for the encouragement. : )

Mmm, especially verses 5-6. *grins*

Joshua said...

I did send you it when I was online. :P Haha.

sweister said...

A funeral video on the first day of the year. DUDE, WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU? lol.

Life is all about learning. You fall down, get yourself together, get back up and march again! 2010. Back to learning. Excited hor, Matt?

Matt said...

@Josh: Really? I can't remember which was it. Hahahaha!

@SWei: I thought it was a good reminder to cherish the people around me before it's too late. Haha!

Yeah, life is like that. Everyday's a new day. Mmm, exciting indeed. You're full of optimism aren't you? : )