Monday, November 3, 2008

I look to Him for strength and comfort...

Malaysians are well known for their unique sense of language which brings about all sorts of weird phrases and exclamations that can only define Malaysian culture itself. Also more commonly known as 'rojak' which means a mixture of different variables or in this case, ingredients (languages).

Therefore, here's my shortlist of some Malaysian phrases that I'm sure will define the meaning of Singlish, Manglish, and all sorts of funny concoctions that anyone may come up with.

Malaysian Dictionary
1. Walaowei - Malaysian style for "Oh My Gosh"
Example: Walaowei, like that also can?

2. Go stan! Go stan! - Reverse (Normally shouted out in the Malaysian slang when asking the driver to reverse)

3. Fuyo! - simply means "Wow"
Example: Fuyo! The curry here so spicy.

4. Why ah? - The famous line concocted by my corny classmate which shows a sense of ignorance when in actuality its a phrase used to buy time.

5. Aiyo/Aiya - which means "Oh no" or any other such phrase that carries about the same meaning.
Example: Aiyo, why Liverpool can lose to Tottenham?

6. Die lor - The ever famous phrase that seems to come out everytime we Malaysians face a situation that is for obvious reasons negative. And no, we're not suicidal!

7. Chun - which means "Excellent".
Example: That car looks so chun!

8. Any other sentence that ends with "la", "ma", "meh", "lor", "ler", "leh", "wei" and "hor". There is no specific meaning to these words. They're just part of the sentences, flavourings if you will.
Example: Today so hot hor?

9. Cheh - which is an expression of disappointment.
Example: Cheh, you only got 9 A1's and 1 A2 for SPM? *overexaggeration is intented

10. Don't pray pray! - adapted from the hit series 'Puah Chu Kang Ptd. Ltd' comedy originating from Singapore. This phrase simply means not to take something/someone lightly. Something to that effect.
Example: This car very chun 1 leh. Don't pray pray!



Well, those are the only phrases I can think off. Will update once I've gotten the rest of the Malaysian dictionary compiled. My current mood does not allow my brain to think much. Yesh, I'm semi-depressed. Gotta talk to God...

3 comments:

Joshua said...

"10. Don't pray pray!"

I've heard (err...seen) several persons say "don't 'play play'"--that the same thing? I know it irritates me. Hehe. Like the word "bling", and "dawg", and every other ghetto-sounding word. I likely despise it so much because it's so popular...and because I don't like the way it feels in my head when I hear it. :D

Matt said...

Don't play play is the actual phrase for Don't pray pray.

Just for your info. = )

ray88shell said...

bro, how come no tagboard wan? LOL.