Thursday, August 21, 2008

Love is in the air...

...no it ain't. Is love a disease that can be contracted? Wow, in that case, we're all sick? Get a load of the suggestive facts that seem to undermine reality and the very essence of truth itself.

Sometimes I wonder how love can be so incredibly misunderstood and the meaning of it takes another form which is totally unheard of. I had a conversation with someone earlier that went something like this.


Case 1
Evy: I think I like a guy who was in charge of the motivation camp. (She just came back from camp)

Matt: Huh? Serious? A senior?

Evy: Yeah. But I think he's under 21 or something.

Matt: Oh, probably a crush lah.

Evy: No, its not a crush.

Matt: Huh? How you know its not a crush?

Evy: He was the one who was staring at me the whole time at camp.

Matt: Ermm, there's more to a relationship than just that.

Evy: When we shook hands, he shook it tight. When I passed out, he was there.

Matt: Haha, trust me. Its probably just a crush. Give me a valid reason why you think its not a crush and I'll see whether it is.

Evy: I just know its not a crush. (WTH?)

Matt: Ermm, okay. If you say so.

Evy: I'm frustrated. My heart is beating faster.

Matt: Haha, okay. Been there, done that. I shall not burst your bubble.

Evy: Okay.

*Names have been altered to protect the person and her rights.

WHAT...THE...HECK? Is that how love is looked at? Man, if thats how youths view it as nowadays, I gotta admit...that is SHALLOW! Come on, do you even know what love is? Sure, some people have yet to reach maturity but surely the perception can't be that twisted? I'm amazed really, cause the standards of a relationship has sunk so low. I'm no love doctor, but geeee, is that what a relationship is? What happened to knowing the person as your friend, progress to best friend, and then finally IF anything comes up, progress further to the next stage.

Times have indeed changed, for the worse I'm afraid. The ironic thing was that in the end, she popped the question "What should I do?" Huh? Excuse me, but if you don't even know the basis for a relationship then why bother asking me? Yet there is an abundant supply of complaints about broken relationships going around.

Forgive me for saying this, but there's a line that should be drawn between crushes and what you define as potential "life partner prospect". Oh well, don't take it from me. After all, what would I know, right?

So tell me, what do you define love as?

Ah, forget it. I'm equally as disappointed and frustrated at certain people.

Signing off,
Matt

PS: A lot of people should read 1 Corinthians 13.

1 comment:

Eu-Gene said...

I totally downright agree with you :) Should try reading Joshua Harris' book "I Kissed Dating Goodbye" and "Boy Meets Girl". That will open people's eyes.